What is the Summer Enrichment Program?
The Summer Enrichment Program is a 10-week immersive internship hosted at your aging services organization. The Summer Enrichment program encourages a diverse pool of students who are enrolled in undergraduate or graduate programs across the country to obtain real-world experience in aging services. Check out our 2022 LeadingAge Summer Enrichment Program cohort.
Participation in the Summer Enrichment Program sends an important message that your organization and community are committed to growing a pipeline of diverse leaders in the field of aging. At the same time, it gives students, from all backgrounds, exposure to the rewarding field of aging services. The Summer Enrichment Program will shape future leaders by exposing future talent to the field of aging and helping to develop and mentor a diverse workforce bound for leadership roles.
How will LeadingAge Support the Summer Enrichment Program?
LeadingAge will commit to providing tools, professional development, and marketing. This will include:
- Providing a Host Site tool kit including job description, curriculum, and education to assist with the design and implementation of an internship program.
- Assisting with student intern recruitment through:
- Complimentary internship postings on the LeadingAge Career Center.
- Promoting the internship postings to student members, students, and universities across the country.
- Pairing each intern with a mentor from within LeadingAge membership
- Providing orientation and training for mentors and preceptors prior to the commencement of the internship.
- Offering professional development, networking and training events for interns throughout the 10 week internship
- Providing complimentary student registrations for all SEP interns for the 2022 LeadingAge Annual Meeting.
What is the timeline?
Summer/Fall 2022: Commit to participating in the Summer Enrichment Program by completing the 2023 Host Site Commitment and Expectations form.
- October - November 2022 - Host site/provider posts internship position on LeadingAge Career Center - Internship Page
Winter 2023: Host site interviews and selects interns
Spring 2023: Host site preceptor participates in LeadingAge Summer Enrichment Program Orientation
- May - Preceptor, Mentor, and Intern - LeadingAge Virtual Orientation
- June - Students begin the internship
- June & July - LeadingAge Student Virtual Networking and Professional Development Events
- June & July - LeadingAge Preceptor Virtual Networking and Professional Development Events
- August - Virtual celebratory event
What is the cost?
The cost of hosting undergraduate or graduate students may be different for each organization. We ask that each organization financially support the summer intern to ensure all students can afford to participate in this experience. Compensation must include an hourly pay or stipend (approximately $15.00 per hour/$600 a week). It may also include, if applicable:
- Housing (strongly encouraged if available on provider campus)
- Food allowance (or meals if available on provider campus)
- Parking permit (if applicable).
How are Summer Enrichment Program interns selected and where do they come from?
- LeadingAge will promote the Summer Enrichment Program internship opportunities to LeadingAge student members, students, and universities across the country.
- The SEP Host Site is responsible for posting the position, interviewing, and selecting their respective interns.
- The SEP Host Site must post their internship to the LeadingAge Career Center (LeadingAge will provide complimentary access to the LeadingAge Career Center and the LeadingAge Student Career Fair to participating members).
- LeadingAge strongly recommends each host site posts their internship to Handshake.com.
- The Summer Enrichment Program will be promoted to students and universities across the country.
How does my organization sign-up to participate?
- Review the 2023 Commitment and Expectations
- Complete the 2023 Host Site Commitment and Expectations application form
Who do I contact with questions?
Contact Christy Kramer, Vice President of Student Engagement and Workforce Partnerships - firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here if you are a 2022 Summer Enrichment Program host site.