High-Tech Aging: Improving Lives Today is a video that portrays technology’s potential to facilitate coordinated care and aging in place. The story follows a character named Alma from home to hospital, to rehabilitation and back to home again. Throughout her experience of having and recovering from a stroke, Alma and her caregivers use personal health tablets, a medication dispenser, electronic health records, home monitoring, telehealth, engagement technologies, and assistive technologies. They also use a personal emergency response system, with automatic fall detection, to plan her care, to communicate with each other and to allow her to remain safely at home with support.
LeadingAge CAST has just released, “High-Tech Aging: Improving Lives Today,” a vision video that shows how current technology can facilitate coordinated care and aging in place. The video demonstrates the possibilities through the story of Alma, an 83-year-old woman whose journey from home to hospital, rehabilitation and back home is assisted by technology.
Full Version of High-Tech Aging
Two-Minute Version of High-Tech Aging
Download High-Tech Aging
You may also want to download the movie. We offer 2 versions of each movie: A .WMV file, which is easily embedded in PowerPoint presentations, and an .MP4 file. When you click below on your version’s link, a zip file will begin downloading.
This ongoing 12-part series that will examine the host of aging services technologies that were highlighted in the video.
- Alma’s Technology: A Look at Personal Emergency Response Systems
- Alma’s Technology: A Look at Medication Adherence Technologies
- Alma’s Technology: A Look at Social Connectedness
- Alma’s Technology: Therapy and Rehabilitation Technologies
- Alma’s Technology: Monitoring Activities of Daily Living
- Alma’s Technology: Monitoring Sleep Disturbances
- Alma’s Technology: Electronic Health Records
- Alma’s Technology: Clinical Decision Support
- Alma’s Technology: Health Information Exchange
- Alma’s Technology: Chronic Disease Management
- Alma’s Technology: Video-based Telemedicine
More About the Film
“High-Tech Aging: Improving Lives Today” is a follow-up to “Imagine — The Future of Aging,” which chronicled an older gentleman’s technology-enhanced care and was released in 2005.
That video included computer-generated technologies that were not available for purchase. All of the videos in High-Tech Aging are currently on the market, though infrequently used together.
LeadingAge CAST acknowledges the generous support of the following organizations, whose support made this video possible:
- American Baptist Homes of The West
- Care Innovations™, an Intel-GEcompany
- Front Porch Communities and Services and the Front Porch Center for Technology Innovation & Wellbeing
- Western Home Communities
- Selfhelp Innovations, a program of Selfhelp Community Services, Inc.
- The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society
- CEA Foundation
- Asbury Retirement Communities
- Lutheran Homes of South Carolina
The video was filmed on location at Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg, MD.