Below is a list of all our Social Connectedness and Engagement Technology case studies. Please see Lessons Learned and Advice Drawn from the Case Studies for a consolidated list of lessons learned and advice from all of the case studies.
2021 Case Studies
- Addressing Social Isolation with Staff Augmentation through Digital Technology during COVID-19: The Linked Senior platform enabled Kendal at Oberlin to attain 165+ hours of staff efficiency per month; deploy 250+ hours of volunteer time, remotely and safely, despite lockdown; and increase the number of one-to-one interactions with residents by 4.2 times during lockdown with Linked Senior compared to normal times. Residents reporting feelings of isolation dropped 50% over five months. The average engagement of residents observed from March to August 2020 increased 272%; year-over-year engagement increased by 240%.
- Decreasing Antipsychotic Medications through Engagement Technology: After implementing the Birdsong tablets as an engagement tool, Rappahannock Westminster-Canterbury found the results were evident in medication management, residents’ behaviors, and overall happiness among residents and staff. A 76% reduction in the use of antipsychotics was found in the months after tablets were introduced to the community.
- Increasing Social Engagement through a Digital Avatar during Covid-19: The care.coach avatar system helped West PACE reduce social isolation and feelings of loneliness; encouraged self-management of health and wellness, prompting participants to take their medication, wash their hands, and put on their PERS/fall devices; and increased staff efficiencies by enabling staff to provide immediate assistance remotely to triage incidents and reduce staff travel time.
- Increasing Resident Engagement and Staff Efficiencies through Technology during Covid-19: Connected Living’s enterprise communication platform helped Ginger Cove improve occupancy, health and wellness, and retention as well as staff efficiency. It also increased resident and family engagement and satisfaction, reduced feelings of loneliness, and increased quality of life.
- Using Virtual Reality to Drive Engagement: After rolling out Rendever, Oakmont Senior Living saw reduced social isolation, increased resident engagement and satisfaction, and increased staff confidence and efficiencies.
2020 Case Studies
- Connecting and Engaging Residents through Customized Technology: By working collaboratively with Viibrant and integrating voice technology, Ingleside Engaged Living, a multi-site family of senior living affiliates, was able to provide access for all residents, including those with mobility, dexterity, vision and/or cognitive challenges. The community saw an adoption rate of over 75%.
- Improving System-Wide Communication with Connected Living Enterprise Platform During the COVID-19 Crisis: During the first few weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic, an enterprise communication platform from Connected Living that incorporates mobile push notifications led to improved customer experience and staff efficiency at Waterman Village Retirement Community.
- Improving Resident Independence and Satisfaction Through Smart Voice Technology: Friendship Village partnered with Caremerge to roll out a campus-wide voice technology platform called Caremerge Voice, which leverages Alexa’s natural language listening capabilities. The solution increased residents’ device use by 30% and demonstrates the benefits of Alexa’s Name Free Skill Innovation (NFSI).
- Increasing Resident and Staff Engagement Through Technology: HumanGood, a housing and healthcare nonprofit, piloted a resident engagement platform by Cubigo. Now, 61% of residents have an account, two-thirds of accounts are used weekly, and residents use the technology to directly make 55% of requests. More than 10,000 requests have been made and team members are saving 10 hours of work per week per community.
- Reducing Social Isolation Through Virtual Group Activity: Well Connected and Well Connected Español, Covia Community Services, are a community of participants, staff, facilitators, presenters, and other volunteers who value being connected. 365 days a year, groups meet via phone or web conference for 80+ weekly activities.
- Staff Augmentation and Increased Engagement through Technology: By using Linked Senior to increase meaningful engagement among residents, Westminster-Canterbury Shenandoah Valley achieved a 60% reduction in staff research and preparation time for engagement, increased staff efficiency and satisfaction, and 100% visibility of resident engagement in real-time.
2019 Case Studies
- Enhancing Resident & Family Engagement Through Technology: Cascadia Senior Living and Development had been tracking its resident engagement for group and individual activities on paper. After implementing LifeLoop, staff could better capture and share resident activities and behaviors. Year-over-year comparisons show a substantial rise in resident attendance and personal activities.
- Improving Participant Satisfaction and Quality of Care With Engagement Technology: At Element Care, a pilot program used 12 care.coach™ avatars to provide psychosocial support and health coaching in the home for high-risk older adults. See how the program saved costs, decreased evening and weekend companion and nursing visits, diverted unnecessary visits to the Emergency Room, and decreased participants’ anxiety.
- Increasing Engagement, Satisfaction, Physical Performance and Team Efficiencies through Social Engagement Technology: Presbyterian SeniorCare Network demonstrates how technology can improve quality of life for residents living with dementia. Presbyterian SeniorCare Network partnered with It's Never 2 Late (iN2L) to provide the engagement technology platform.
- Increasing Resident Engagement through Person-Centered Technology: Silver Bluff Village is using Linked Senior, a digital engagement platform, to optimize resident engagement and enhance person-centered care. Outcomes include reduced social isolation, reduced use of antipsychotics, and increased resident engagement and satisfaction. In one year, its engagement of long-term care residents rose by 172%.
- Reducing Social Isolation in Affordable Senior Housing using Voice Assistant Technology: AARP Foundation initiated a recent pilot of voice-activated technology that brought senior housing residents more social interaction, more perceived availability of support, and less loneliness
- Streamlining Services and Increasing Resident and Family Engagement Through an Integrated Platform for Senior Living: Brookdale Redwood City, a premier senior living community, was largely paper-based before Cubigo. Now it tracks which residents attend what activities, how residents use transportation, and which excursions residents prefer. The data is improving services and increasing resident engagement and satisfaction.
- Transforming Daily Life at a Life Plan Community through Digital Wellness and Communication: Using the Wellzesta Life app, Bridgewater Retirement Community streamlined its communication in one easy-to-use digital platform. Residents gained equal access to sign up for the community events, improved connections with others and with community groups, and gained motivation to pursue new wellness programs.
- Using Innovative Voice and Smart Home Technologies to Enhance Resident Engagement and Staff Efficiencies explains how Asbury Methodist Village partnered with Connected Living to achieve the following: Connect Asbury staff, residents, and families with “best in class” resident and family technologies.
- Using Robotic Pets to Improve Interactions, Behaviors, and Quality of Life, While Reducing Anti-psychotics in Hospice Dementia Patients: At Alacare Home Health and Hospice, a Companion Pet Pilot Study found that hospice patients with anxiety due to dementia and patients at risk for social isolation reacted well to animated, robotic pets. Agitation, social isolation, and expressions of sadness dropped among the study participants.
2018 Case Studies
- Creating a Real-Life Video Experience for Individuals Facing Memory Loss: A video project with IN2L and Evangelical Homes of Michigan Senior Solutions fosters positive relationships.
- Implementation of The BirdSong Tablet in a Skilled Nursing Setting: Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay implemented a social engagement tablet based solution in its Skilled Nursing Setting. Th technology platform was provided by TMM Software.
- Increased Resident Engagement, Quality of Life, Staff Efficiences and Safety and Security through Social Connectedness and Engagement Technology: Inniswood Village is a senior living community in Westerville, Ohio, that offers seniors carefree living, engagement, and everyday convenience in senior apartment homes, assisted living, and memory care. It is a community of LeadingAge Provider Member National Church Residences, based in Columbus, Ohio. To streamline communication and improve the day-to-day lives of residents and staff, Inniswood Village leverages CATIE, an in-room portal solution that delivers digitized content and endless self-service options.
- Reducing Antipsycholtics and Depression through Person-Centered Engagement: Kendal at Longwood, part of LeadingAge Provider Member Kendal-Crosslands Communities, a nonprofit life plan community in Kennett Square, PA, has implemented person-centered engagement strategies that have decreased residents’ antipsychotic drug use and depressive symptoms. Its strategy includes an interdisciplinary behavioral health team, support groups and monthly Memory Cafés to combat the stigma associated with memory loss, robotic pets, Linked Senior, and art-based therapy.
- Using Technology to Reduce Social Isolation and Depression in Homebound Older Adults: Nonprofit Care at Home New Jersey (CAHNJ) has reduced social isolation and depression among study participants who used a touchscreen Telikin computer to communicate with family, friends, and CAHNJ personnel.
2017 Case Studies
- Enhancing the Lives of Seniors through Use of a Daily Life Management Platform: Aldersgate United Methodist Retirement Community in Charlotte, NC implemented a Life Management Program for its Life Plan Community. The Life Management Platform from Wellzesta helped the organization enhance the lives of their residents.
- Improving Medication Compliance, Quality of Life, and Peace of Mind through Voice Assistant Technology: Libertana Home Health in Sherman Oaks, CA implemented a voice assistance technology to improve medication compliance, quality of life, and peace of mind. The voice assistance technology was provided by Orbita.
- Increased Staff Efficiencies and Resident Engagement Reporting through Web-Based Activity Tracking: Papillion Manor in Papillion, NE implemented a web based activity tracking technology to engage its residents in activities and improve staff efficiencies. The web-based activity tracking platform was provided by LifeLoop.
- Increasing Engagement, Satisfaction, Physical Performance and Team Efficiencies through Social Engagement Technology: Presbyterian SeniorCare Network demonstrates how technology can improvie quality of life for residents living with dementia. Presbyterian SeniorCare Network partnered with It's Never 2 Late (iN2L) to provide the engagement technology platform.
- Increasing Engagement, Social Networks and Quality of Life and Reducing Social Isolation, Depression and Feelings of Loneliness through a Captioned Telephone: Life Care Services implemented a captioned telephone service to the communities they manage to increase engagement, social networks, and quality of life and reduce social isolation, depression and feelings of loneliness. The captioned telephones were provided by Hamilton CapTel.
- Increasing Resident Engagement, Satisfaction and Quality of Life and Reducing Social Isolation, Loneliness and Depression through Hearing Assistance Technology: Commonwealth Senior Living based in Charlottesville, VA implemented Hearing Assistance Technology in all of their 22 communities to enhance resident engagement, satisfaction, and quality of life and reduce social isolation, loneliness, and depression among their residents. The technology was provided by Eversound.
- Increasing Social Connectedness and Engagement through Multiple Digital Channels: Longwood at Oakmont a Presbyterian Senor Care Community in Pennsylvania implemented a social engagement and connectedness platform to provide information to residents, staff, families and prospects through a variety of digital channels. The platform was provided by Touchtown.
- Integrating Innovative Technology in the Home to Provide Enhanced Continuity of Care and Decreased Healthcare Costs for Older Adults: Element Care’s PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly) program in Massachusetts North Shore, the Merrimack Valley and northeast region of Middlesex County implemented a Digital Avatar with Voice Activated Assistant Technology and Captioning to provide enhanced continuity of care in the home. The technology was provided by Care.Coach.
- Leveraging a Social Connectedness Platform to Improve Resident Lifestyle and Increase Operational Efficiencies in Independent Living: Galloway Ridge at Fearrington, a single site Life Plan Community, implemented a customized community management platform with the objective of eliminating various administrative inefficiencies and expand resident engagement. The community management platform was provided by Senior Portal.
- Reducing Antipsychotics through Digital Engagement: Kendal on Hudson in Kennett Square, PA implemented a digital engagement tool in their Life Plan Community (formerly named CCRC) to reduce the usage of antipsychotics. The digital engagement tool was provided by LinkedSenior.
- Reducing Social Isolation and Improving Health Status through Group Video Chat Activities: Selfhelp Community Services located in New York City implemented a group video chat program for isolated homebound older adults living on campus and offsite to reduce social isolation. The group video chat was developed by Selfhelp and is called the Selfhelp Virtual Senior Center.
- Sharing Life Stories to Enhance Engagement and Improve Resident-Centered Care Using LifeBio: Front Porch’s Center for Innovation and Wellbeing located in Southern California implemented a life story program to enhance engagement and improve resident-centered care. The platform was provided by LifeBio.