What is the Summer Enrichment Program?
The Summer Enrichment Program is a 10-week immersive internship hosted at your aging services organization. The Summer Enrichment program encourages a diverse pool of students who are enrolled in undergraduate or graduate programs across the country to obtain real world experience in aging services.
What is the purpose?
The goal of this internship program is to provide opportunities for students to gain exposure to and leadership opportunities in older adult services while increasing diversity in leadership within LeadingAge member communities. Your role is to help the Summer Enrichment Program Intern advance in our field by providing mentors and meaningful work while helping them access a professional network that will reduce barriers to leadership roles within the field of aging.
The field of aging lacks diversity amongst its leaders. It is on us, the LeadingAge family, to encourage and accelerate diverse leadership teams in our field.
It is widely acknowledged that diverse and inclusive leadership is good for an organization. According to March 2019, Harvard Business Review article Why Inclusive Leaders Are Good for Organizations, and How to Become One,"Teams with inclusive leaders are 17% more likely to report that they are high performing, 20% more likely to say they make high-quality decisions, and 29% more likely to report behaving collaboratively. What’s more, we found that a 10% improvement in perceptions of inclusion increases work attendance by almost 1 day a year per employee, reducing the cost of absenteeism."
Participation in the Summer Enrichment Program sends an important message that your organization and community is committed to diversity, inclusion, and equality. At the same time, it gives students, from all backgrounds, exposure to the rewarding field of aging services. The Summer Enrichment Program will shape future leaders by exposing future talent to the field of aging and helping to develop and mentor a diverse workforce bound for leadership roles.
What is the timeline?
Fall 2020: Commit to participating in the Summer Enrichment Program
- November 10 – 12, 2020 - Participate in the LeadingAge Student Career Fair
- December 10, 2020 - Deadline to post internship on LeadingAge Career Center
Winter 2021: Interview and select students
Spring 2021: Participate in LeadingAge Summer Enrichment Program orientation for providers
Summer 2021: Launch first Summer Enrichment Program
- May/June - Students begin the internship
- June & July - LeadingAge Student Networking Events
- June & July - LeadingAge Preceptor Networking and Professional Development Events
- August - Virtual celebratory event
Fall 2021: Event for interns at the 2021 LeadingAge Annual Meeting
What is the cost?
The cost of hosting undergraduate or graduate students may be different for each organization. We ask that each organization financially support the summer intern to ensure all students can afford to participate in this experience. Compensation must include an hourly pay or stipend (approximately $15.00 per hour/$600 a week). It may also include, if applicable:
- Housing allowance (or housing if available on provider campus)
- Food allowance (or meals if available on provider campus)
- Parking permit (if applicable).
How are Summer Enrichment Program Interns selected and where do they come from?
- Each participating organization will interview and select candidates from students who have applied to the internship via the LeadingAge Career Center portal. (LeadingAge will provide complimentary access to the LeadingAge Career Center and the LeadingAge Student Career Fair to participating members)
- The Summer Enrichment Program will be promoted to students and universities across the country.
How will LeadingAge Support the Summer Enrichment Program?
LeadingAge will commit to providing tools, professional development resources, and marketing. This will include:
- Developing a tool kit, curriculum, and education to assist with the design and implementation of an internship program.
- Promoting the program to both members and students.
- Assisting with student intern recruitment through:
- Complimentary member booth at the virtual internship career fair at the 2020 LeadingAge Annual Meeting
- Complimentary Internship postings on the LeadingAge Career Center.
- Developing and offering training for mentors and preceptors prior to the commencement of the internship.
- Offering professional development, networking and training events for students and preceptors.
- Providing complimentary student registrations for all SEP interns for the 2021 LeadingAge Annual Meeting.
How does my organization sign-up to participate?
- Your first step is to complete the Summer Enrichment Program application form and sign and email the commitment form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does a student sign-up to be a Summer Enrichment Program Intern?
Who do I contact with questions?
Contact Christy Kramer, Vice President of Student Engagement and Workforce Partnerships - email@example.com